Best subtitling software
Thread poster: Jennifer Woolley
Jennifer Woolley
Jennifer Woolley
France
Local time: 20:15
French to English
Oct 12, 2020

We would like to offer subtitling services. What is the best subtitling software on the market at the moment? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance, Jennifer and Furber&Co

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
My two cents Oct 12, 2020

Only subtitle editors that I have tried myself.

Aegisub (free and open source)
A subtitle editor with many advanced features, like subtitle positioning and rotation, as well as karaoke mode. I heard it was being used by Crunchyroll, that would boost your confidence using it. Plenty of documentations too. But no longer updated.

Kainote (free and open source)
A subtitle editor aiming to be the spiritual successor of Aegisub. Latest version releas
... See more
Only subtitle editors that I have tried myself.

Aegisub (free and open source)
A subtitle editor with many advanced features, like subtitle positioning and rotation, as well as karaoke mode. I heard it was being used by Crunchyroll, that would boost your confidence using it. Plenty of documentations too. But no longer updated.

Kainote (free and open source)
A subtitle editor aiming to be the spiritual successor of Aegisub. Latest version released in April this year. Capable to perform most of Aegisub's features. Documentations are mostly only available in Polish.

What I don't like about it, is that Kainote also cache video and audio files. This will eat up your disk storage quite fast unless you delete them manually.

Subtitle Edit (free and open source)
Very clean and straightforward interface. Not as powerful as the above mentioned, but should do the job for basic subtitling works. May require VLC to play the video and create audio waveform.

ZOOSubs (paid, cloud-based)
Mostly comparable to Subtitle Edit. For best compatibility, use Google Chrome to access the service.

Might be of interest:
https://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/346802-spot_vs_free_or_cheap_subtitling_tools.html
Collapse

Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 21:15
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Wincaps Q4 Oct 13, 2020

You could get Wincaps, which I find quite reliable and good for most purposes: https://broadstream.com/.

There is currently a discount, too, for six-month and one-year subscriptions, which make it more affordable.

Sarper Aman
Sarper Aman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 22:15
Member (2019)
English to Turkish
+ ...
Enterprise or Individual? Oct 13, 2020

Hello Jennifer,

From your post, I felt like you want to start a localization company focusing on subtitling, am I wrong? If that is the case, you may want o check Ooona or SubtitleNext since they provide enterprise subtitling solutions and also subtitling editors for individual use as w
... See more
Hello Jennifer,

From your post, I felt like you want to start a localization company focusing on subtitling, am I wrong? If that is the case, you may want o check Ooona or SubtitleNext since they provide enterprise subtitling solutions and also subtitling editors for individual use as well.

https://ooona.net/

https://subtitlenext.com/
Collapse

Monica Paolillo
Monica Paolillo
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
SubtitleNEXT Oct 13, 2020

Best value for money.

marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 06:15
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Camtasia Oct 30, 2020

Personally I have a love-hate relationship with Camtasia. I find it user friendly, and when it is good, it's very good, but sometimes it can malfunction on a laptop and cause huge (i.e., time consuming) problems. Sometimes it even randomly loads my files as Korean (my files are not in Korean and I can't speak Korean).
I am always on the lookout for other programmes too though.

Mr. Satan (X)
Mr. Satan (X)
English to Indonesian
Camtasia? Oct 30, 2020

Marijaflora wrote:

Personally I have a love-hate relationship with Camtasia.

I thought Camtasia was a screencasting software?

marijaflora
marijaflora
Australia
Local time: 06:15
Bosnian to English
+ ...
Both Nov 2, 2020

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Marijaflora wrote:

Personally I have a love-hate relationship with Camtasia.

I thought Camtasia was a screencasting software?

Apparently it does this also, I'm not sure as I have never used Camtasia for this purpose. You can also create captions in Camtasia and export them as an SRT file.

Viktoriia Horiachko
Viktoriia Horiachko
Local time: 21:15
Member (2019)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...
Does a great job Nov 2, 2020

Novian Cahyadi wrote:

Subtitle Edit (free and open source)
Very clean and straightforward interface. Not as powerful as the above mentioned, but should do the job for basic subtitling works. May require VLC to play the video and create audio waveform.

Second this! I always use Subtitle Edit and would definitely recommend it.

Jennifer Woolley
Jennifer Woolley
France
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for all your replies Nov 3, 2020

Thanks everyone for all your info. As per there's a variety... I'll need the easiest to get to grips with at the moment. User friendly...

Cristiano Lima
Cristiano Lima
Brazil
Local time: 16:15
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
Media Subtitler Nov 3, 2020

Jennifer Woolley wrote:

We would like to offer subtitling services. What is the best subtitling software on the market at the moment? Does anyone have any tips? Thanks in advance, Jennifer and Furber&Co

Did you ever try Media Subtitler? In my opinion it's simple and useful, I use it often.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best subtitling software

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »