Evaldas Valiūnas
Evaldas Valiūnas  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:45
French to Lithuanian
+ ...
Mar 17, 2021

Hello everyone,

I have a problem with SDL Trados Studio on a computer running Windows 10 64 bit edition.

In the translation window, the text input randomly stops at 5 to 10 second intervals. The keyboard input is then "cashed" and appears 1 second later. I can sometimes see my cursor jumping to the end of the line and then back to the current position for no reason. This produces numerous input mistakes and makes the work unbearably sluggish.

"Text pushing"
... See more
Hello everyone,

I have a problem with SDL Trados Studio on a computer running Windows 10 64 bit edition.

In the translation window, the text input randomly stops at 5 to 10 second intervals. The keyboard input is then "cashed" and appears 1 second later. I can sometimes see my cursor jumping to the end of the line and then back to the current position for no reason. This produces numerous input mistakes and makes the work unbearably sluggish.

"Text pushing" operation is equally slow. For a second, new characters cover the following ones that are already present, then the text is pushed foward.

This happens every single time, no matter the project size.

This problem happens in every Studio version (2011, 2014 and 2017 ) I tried for testing purposes.

This problem does not happen on this very same computer running any version of Windows 7, even inside a virtual machine.

Both Windows 10 and Studio are freshly installed.

This problem is specific to main translation window in Trados studio and happens in no other part of the application (string search, translation memory edit window, option menu etc.). This does not happen in any other application on this computer.
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:45
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Just a suggestion Mar 17, 2021

Hi Evaldas, do you have custom screen font size settings? I had a somewhat similar (though different) problem last year and found out that it had to do with an increased font size in the editor window. The problem disappeared after changing the screen font to a smaller one.

Natalia
P.S. As far as I remember, the font settings were 125% in Windows plus an increased font in the editor, and it was enough to decrease only the font in Trados.

[Edited at 2021-03-17 12:15 GM
... See more
Hi Evaldas, do you have custom screen font size settings? I had a somewhat similar (though different) problem last year and found out that it had to do with an increased font size in the editor window. The problem disappeared after changing the screen font to a smaller one.

Natalia
P.S. As far as I remember, the font settings were 125% in Windows plus an increased font in the editor, and it was enough to decrease only the font in Trados.

[Edited at 2021-03-17 12:15 GMT]
Collapse

bris97

Evaldas Valiūnas
Latvia
French to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Font size Mar 17, 2021

Natalie wrote:

Natalia

I actually do have custom screen font size and when testing for possible solutions this was my first thing to try. Reverting back to regular size changed nothing, unfortunately.

It is also worth mentioning that on Windows 7 custom font size produces no such lag.

Evaldas Valiūnas
Latvia
French to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solution May 31, 2021

Hello everyone once again.

After months of searching and experimenting, I finally found the culprit and the solution to the problem.

I noticed that the problem doesn’t happen on other computers that are low spec. This is because they are single CPU core computers. It appears that some applications cannot handle multi-core processors well.

In case anyone has a similar problem, just set the CPU affinity to just one thread.

Stepan Konev
knallpulve

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:45
English to Russian
Thanks May 31, 2021

Evaldas Valiūnas wrote:
After months of searching and experimenting, I finally found the culprit
Thank you for taking the time to share this.

Arne Marko
Arne Marko  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:45
Member (2022)
German to English
Thank you Mar 7, 2022

I had the same problem and setting the CPU affinity appears to have fixed it. For anyone else having this problem, here's what I did:
Open Task Manager
Under "Processes", right-click "Trados Studio" and select "Go to details"
Right-click "SDLTradosStudio.exe" and select "Set affinity"
I have a six-core CPU, and I unchecked "" and then checked "CPU 5" and clicked "OK"
So far it looks like this solved the problem.

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 18:45
English to Russian
Angle brackets issue Mar 7, 2022

arne_marko wrote:
I have a six-core CPU, and I unchecked ""...
unchecked "<All Processors>"

[Edited at 2022-03-07 18:15 GMT]

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio lag input

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »