Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:30
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Jan 13, 2021

Hi everyone,

An agency sent me two new termbases for a regular client. They both have thousands of terms in dozens of languages. I only have the termbases at this stage, but an urgent project should come up tomorrow. I'm afraid the TBs might slow down Trados as they are really big, so I thought I'd better remove the languages I don't need and create a new TB with my language pair only
... See more
Hi everyone,

An agency sent me two new termbases for a regular client. They both have thousands of terms in dozens of languages. I only have the termbases at this stage, but an urgent project should come up tomorrow. I'm afraid the TBs might slow down Trados as they are really big, so I thought I'd better remove the languages I don't need and create a new TB with my language pair only. I followed the procedure described here: https://community.sdl.com/product-groups/translationproductivity/f/multiterm/26639/how-to-split-a-termbase-to-separate-languages I converted the original .sdltb to Excel with Glossary Converter, deleted the languages I don't need, and created a new TB by converting the resulting Excel file to a new .sdltb termbase.

It worked smoothly for the first TB, which was smaller, but I can't make it work with the second one. I got a System.OutOfMemoryException, so I tried the workaround suggested on Glossary Converter's help section, i.e. I changed the LargeFileExcelMode in the Advanced Settings to True. I managed to convert the .sdltb to .xlsx this way, but the content is all mixed up, so it's basically useless.

Do you know of any other way to remove the languages I don't need from the .sdltb file? I can't say I'm very tech-savvy, but I'll do my best.

Note: I use SDL Trados Studio 2017 on Windows 10 64-bit, my Glossary Converter version is 6.0.7588.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 23:30
English to Russian
WfConverter Jan 13, 2021

You can try another converter from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K5RsXghx5gOWxJRTQwSm5wMlk/view?usp=sharing
Note that there must always be two files in the same folder: sqlite3.dll and WfConverter.exe. There are some other download links on the Internet that only contain WfConverter.exe, but it will not work alone.
With WfConverter
... See more
You can try another converter from this link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2K5RsXghx5gOWxJRTQwSm5wMlk/view?usp=sharing
Note that there must always be two files in the same folder: sqlite3.dll and WfConverter.exe. There are some other download links on the Internet that only contain WfConverter.exe, but it will not work alone.
With WfConverter you can convert your termbase to a csv file. (For 'Input file' choose *.sdltb)
When you have a csv file, follow the steps below:
1. Open a new Excel sheet, select the Data tab, then click 'From Text/CSV file' in the Get External Data group.
2. Browse to your csv file and press 'Import'.
3. Press 'Load' (this button name may differ because I have a Russian version; from Russian it translates to 'Load') in the lower right part of the wizard.
Collapse

Marina Taffetani
Marina Taffetani  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 21:30
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jan 14, 2021

Thanks for your help, Stepan. I tried, but it's not working either. I'm not sure what the issue might be, to be honest. I think I'll just wait for the PM to send me the project and try to work with the termbase as is. I'll keep looking for some other way to convert it in the meantime.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Removing languages from huge multilanguage termbases

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »