Thread poster: kd42
kd42
kd42
Estonia
Local time: 10:28
English to Russian
Jan 12, 2021

Good day,
What is a feasible way or [freeware] tool which can be used to find-replace the source data in a big (15kw) sdlxliff file? The changes that are required are simple, like "5mm" -> "5 mm" but they are numerous and randomly scattered in the source text.
Thank you.

mikhailo
mikhailo
Local time: 11:28
English to Russian
+ ...
Any text editor Jan 12, 2021

Any text editor like Notepad++

xliff - XML plain text file

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:28
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
CleanUp Tasks Jan 12, 2021

kd42 wrote:
What is a feasible way or [freeware] tool which can be used to find-replace the source data in a big (15kw) sdlxliff file?

Search the SDL AppStore for CleanUp Tasks and install it. That will replace text in the source using regexes, and a lot more besides. It works well for me. Read the help and examples carefully.

Dan

Stepan Konev

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot for your input, everyone Jan 13, 2021

Thanks for coming to help me, guys.
I tried both methods and will use MS Word as a text editor for search/replace, because it allows me to limit the range to the essential data, without damaging the rest of it.
I am not skilled enough to use Notepad or other text editors and limit the range to the data between certain tags.
I do not like the usability and philosophy of Studio plugins, won't use them.
Happy translating and thanks again!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Thank you Dan Jan 13, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:
Search the SDL AppStore for CleanUp Tasks and install it. That will replace text in the source using regexes, and a lot more besides. It works well for me. Read the help and examples carefully.

I didn't know of that plugin. A very useful feature. Loads of thanks.

@kd42
If you choose to use MS Word, you can use the following regex replacement (with 'Use wildcards' checkbox ticked):
Find what: ([0-9])([A-Za-z])
Replace with: \1 \2

This regex will find any number ([0-9]) followed by any letter, either upper or lower case ([A-Za-z]), and replace it with same element number one (\1) followed by space and followed by same element number two (\2).
The regex will cover chemical formulas like Na2SO4 => Na2 SO4. Therefore, use it carefully.
([0-9]) = \1
([A-Za-z]) = \2

[Edited at 2021-01-13 22:20 GMT]

kd42
kd42
Estonia
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, Stepan Jan 14, 2021

Thanks a lot, Stepan, for reconfirming my approach.
Since Studio XLIFF contains two instances of source one of which must not be changed, I plan to apply bold font attribute to the ranges which may be changed, and then limit the find-replace passes to bold characters only.

Peter Kocvara
Peter Kocvara
Slovakia
Local time: 09:28
German to Slovak
+ ...
sdlxliff in text editor? Nov 20, 2023

Hi there.

I tried to open sdlxliff in text editor like Notepad++ or even MS Word, but got unfortunately for any file only incomprehensible code like this... thanks

rI6ddGzbSce2bdtOd+ykY9u2bdu2c+KT5AT3nbk1VfdWzT+YWR9W7dqrdtX+8GgpyUL+wACDBoMF
AwMjAQt7y/6oBAcDo4EGA0MHg4XQFXV0cDN3cDNU83Yyd9Vn9LK3+1X4A4I6HwwC7P/W/9HVnKzo
iM7ycwQg5ReeUme1RgMTosQpIOwbIvPD2ePa2UTrO9FykXMv975Uv8Q4CwmDke5mE9CzN73J1tcN
1HdHwNVHrGm3sij8m1/kbLwT5Th19d5TnqDGXBkNrtMAiZEWvVZ3Oq
... See more
Hi there.

I tried to open sdlxliff in text editor like Notepad++ or even MS Word, but got unfortunately for any file only incomprehensible code like this... thanks

rI6ddGzbSce2bdtOd+ykY9u2bdu2c+KT5AT3nbk1VfdWzT+YWR9W7dqrdtX+8GgpyUL+wACDBoMF
AwMjAQt7y/6oBAcDo4EGA0MHg4XQFXV0cDN3cDNU83Yyd9Vn9LK3+1X4A4I6HwwC7P/W/9HVnKzo
iM7ycwQg5ReeUme1RgMTosQpIOwbIvPD2ePa2UTrO9FykXMv975Uv8Q4CwmDke5mE9CzN73J1tcN
1HdHwNVHrGm3sij8m1/kbLwT5Th19d5TnqDGXBkNrtMAiZEWvVZ3OqUPUa1FWI+JX/gkIrOMfwef
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Last line Nov 21, 2023

Peter Kocvara wrote:
I tried to open sdlxliff in text editor like Notepad++ or even MS Word, but got unfortunately for any file only incomprehensible code like this...
The last line of this code always contains all the segments present in your sdlxliff file. Just press Ctrl+F and search for a word or phrase.

Dan Lucas

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need method/tool to find-replace in source text

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »