Monique Mateo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Aug 22, 2019

Beware of Scam
Someone is trying to pretend to be a qualified translator and claims to outsource translations. The translation is quite substantial and from EN to FR. I asked for more details, such as location, how they obtained the client's offer but they gave me a US address in Seattle, although this qualified translator is based in France. The IP address appears to be in Japan. When I checked the US address, it is simply the address of a Pharmacy...I was already feeling uncomfortable ab
... See more
Beware of Scam
Someone is trying to pretend to be a qualified translator and claims to outsource translations. The translation is quite substantial and from EN to FR. I asked for more details, such as location, how they obtained the client's offer but they gave me a US address in Seattle, although this qualified translator is based in France. The IP address appears to be in Japan. When I checked the US address, it is simply the address of a Pharmacy...I was already feeling uncomfortable about giving my bank details in order to be paid later on.
A good lesson anyway...only accept jobs from verified, known or recommended sources!
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:42
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Thank you Aug 22, 2019

Monique for posting this here.

There are several factors that seem to confirm a scam, the IP address differs from the translator's home base, the fake address in the US, and the avoidance of clear answers.

Even with trustworthy clients I only provide my bank details in my first invoice. There is no need for anyone to know any of my sensitive information before invoicing.

Monique Mateo
Kevin Fulton

Monique Mateo
Monique Mateo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:42
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 22, 2019

I completely agree with you Thayenga! Thank you for your comment!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SCAM

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »