Thread poster: Enrique Cavalitto
TSF_TWB
TSF_TWB  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:12
Member (2011)
English
+ ...
Translating for humanity Aug 3, 2011

Thanks to the community of professional translators who support Translators without Borders, millions of words of translations are being donated each year to worthy organizations such as Medecins sans frontières, Handicap International, Action Against Hunger, GoodPlanet.org and many many more. This contribution is significant because every dollar saved is another dollar that can be spent caring for people in the field.

What I love about the ProZ badge is that it's a way for the vol
... See more
Thanks to the community of professional translators who support Translators without Borders, millions of words of translations are being donated each year to worthy organizations such as Medecins sans frontières, Handicap International, Action Against Hunger, GoodPlanet.org and many many more. This contribution is significant because every dollar saved is another dollar that can be spent caring for people in the field.

What I love about the ProZ badge is that it's a way for the volunteer translators to get recognition for their contribution to humanitarian work around the globe.

We can see the number of words a translator has completed right on the badge, automatically updated in real time. The contributions truly are significant, and are making a big impact. We speak to aid groups every day who share with us how much Translators without Borders helps them in their work.

So I just want to pass on a big thank you to all the 'translators without borders'!
Collapse

Ashutosh Mitra
Ashutosh Mitra  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:42
Member (2011)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks.....धन्यवाद.....शुक्रिया.. Aug 4, 2011

Dear Enrique/Proz,

This is a very nice way to recognize the contribution.

Thanks/धन्यवाद/शुक्रिया

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Well done, yes Aug 4, 2011

Really well done, Henry/Enrique/Proz.com/TWB

Best regards!

[Edited at 2011-08-05 07:07 GMT]

Sabine Winter
Sabine Winter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
I like it! :) Aug 5, 2011

Thank you TWB and ProZ for coming up with this way of recognizing our support. Much appreciated!

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:12
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
This is a very generous community! Aug 9, 2011

Since this thread was started 12 members of the Certified PRO Network have offered their services and were accepted as new translators without borders, and several other colleagues have volunteered through the corresponding application page.

Many thanks to the volunteers, new and old, who help humanitarian organizations make the world a better place.

Kind regards,
Enrique

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Other colleagues volunteered-but were they accepted? Aug 9, 2011

Enrique wrote:

Since this thread was started 12 members of the Certified PRO Network have offered their services and were accepted as new translators without borders, and several other colleagues have volunteered through the corresponding application page.
Enrique

Hi Enrique,
Other colleagues? Ie those who are not Certified PROS? Is the implication that anyone can volunteer but only Certified PRO members are accepted?
Please clarify.
Thanks

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
CPNers are waived the screening process Aug 9, 2011

Hi writeaway,

writeaway wrote:

Enrique wrote:

Enrique

Hi Enrique,
Other colleagues? Ie those who are not Certified PROS? Is the implication that anyone can volunteer but only Certified PRO members are accepted?
Please clarify.
Thanks

Please let me re-post here a section of my original post:

Translators without Borders has a strict screening process. However, since the members of the ProZ.com Certified PRO Network have already been screened against similar criteria, Translators without Borders has agreed to waive this process for members of the CPN.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Kind regards,
Enrique

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Yes, that explains it Aug 9, 2011

Enrique wrote:

Please let me re-post here a section of my original post:

Translators without Borders has a strict screening process. However, since the members of the ProZ.com Certified PRO Network have already been screened against similar criteria, Translators without Borders has agreed to waive this process for members of the CPN.

I hope this clarifies the issue.

Kind regards,
Enrique

Thanks Enrique-that makes it clear.

Lorraine Buckley (X)
Lorraine Buckley (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Great but by no means unique - and why only translators volunteer? Aug 15, 2011

I have read posts here with interest as I am both a professional and a volunteer translator-interpreter. I don't know the situation in the Americas, but I have been doing volunteer translations and interpreting since 2001..... and just some of the organizations coordinating these activities are
- BABELS - supplying volunteer interpreters to the World and particularly European Social Fora since the first ESF in 2001..... also translators for press-office, ad hoc etc. Quality screening not
... See more
I have read posts here with interest as I am both a professional and a volunteer translator-interpreter. I don't know the situation in the Americas, but I have been doing volunteer translations and interpreting since 2001..... and just some of the organizations coordinating these activities are
- BABELS - supplying volunteer interpreters to the World and particularly European Social Fora since the first ESF in 2001..... also translators for press-office, ad hoc etc. Quality screening not always optimal but HUGE effort by 100% volunteers is extended to volunteer booth technicians, constructing booths, developing an audio system that can be listened to via cheap radios rather than requiring sophisticated headphones and gear that needs recharging by electricity where this may not be available...ALL these people are volunteers: translators/interpreters, audio people, trainers and coordinators of interpreters/designers of translating rotas etc.
COORDITRAD France-based but Europe-wide network of volunteer translators for NGOs, social causes etc. All translations quality-reviewed. Run by 100% volunteers in each country
TRADUTTORI PER LA PACE (Italy) Certified professional translators only (membership screened) who translate and/or interpret for anything related to peace (newspaper articles, NGO websites etc)
PEACELINK -Telematica per la Pace - a site where volunteer journalists, translators etc post all sorts of peace-related articles. Peacelink is also a social actor, prints books, organizes marches/campaigns etc so has costs (including occasional legal defence costs when 'baddies' don't like being campaigned against for their pollution/whatever) and accepts donations. But they are not salaries.

I have translated hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of words, but wonder why some volunteers should be more equal than others....?
Collapse

Enrique Cavalitto
Argentina
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
My deep appreciation to all kinds of humanitarian volunteers! Aug 15, 2011

LorraineB wrote:
I have translated hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of words, but wonder why some volunteers should be more equal than others....?

Hi Lorraine,

Some translators act as volunteers within the framework of Translators without Borders' translation center powered by ProZ.com. Other translators and interpreters do so for other equally valuable organizations. Many other volunteers in many other fields of human activity contribute with generosity their efforts to try to make the world a better place.

Translators without Borders released a special badge to acknowledge the generosity and efforts of their volunteers, just as other organizations probably have other ways of doing so with theirs (newsletters, webpages, etc.) I fail to see any lack of fairness here.

Regards,
Enrique

Andreea Christina Stancu
Andreea Christina Stancu  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 14:12
Member (2010)
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
I would like to help Aug 16, 2011

I am a professional translator, working with Italian/Romanian, mostly, but also with English/Romanian, every now and then.

I would like to help, as volunteer, if my help is needed.

Many thanks for letting me know how to proceed.

Kind regards,
Andreea Stancu

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 08:12
SITE FOUNDER
Would like to acknowledge volunteers for those organizations Aug 19, 2011

LorraineB wrote:

- BABELS - supplying volunteer interpreters to the World and particularly European Social Fora since the first ESF in 2001..... also translators for press-office, ad hoc etc. Quality screening not always optimal but HUGE effort by 100% volunteers is extended to volunteer booth technicians, constructing booths, developing an audio system that can be listened to via cheap radios rather than requiring sophisticated headphones and gear that needs recharging by electricity where this may not be available...ALL these people are volunteers: translators/interpreters, audio people, trainers and coordinators of interpreters/designers of translating rotas etc.
COORDITRAD France-based but Europe-wide network of volunteer translators for NGOs, social causes etc. All translations quality-reviewed. Run by 100% volunteers in each country
TRADUTTORI PER LA PACE (Italy) Certified professional translators only (membership screened) who translate and/or interpret for anything related to peace (newspaper articles, NGO websites etc)
PEACELINK -Telematica per la Pace - a site where volunteer journalists, translators etc post all sorts of peace-related articles. Peacelink is also a social actor, prints books, organizes marches/campaigns etc so has costs (including occasional legal defence costs when 'baddies' don't like being campaigned against for their pollution/whatever) and accepts donations. But they are not salaries.

Hi LorraineB. Thanks for the post. We would like to encourage and reward those who do pro bono work, in general. If you know the appropriate people from these organizations, please let them know that we would be willing to acknowledge, in some way, those who contribute volunteer translations to their organizations. (We could, for example, show in profiles that someone is a volunteer for those organizations.) They would have to be willing to indicate, in some way, which ProZ.com members have actually contributed translations.

Of course, we would have certain criteria for the organizations we work with in this way. They should be registered non-profits, for example.

Alessandra Verde
Alessandra Verde  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2008)
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Help is help and we can do with Proz.com too Aug 19, 2011

Hi,

I think that it's vital to have a specially reliable and strong structure more to ensure we can help people in need.

Many of us collaborate with volunteer translations but if we can do more, we'll just give a hand to more people.

I value even more Proz.com for the creation of TWB centre and I absolutely agree with Enrique when he talks about all the people who contribute to try to make the world a better place. That's what it's all about.

... See more
Hi,

I think that it's vital to have a specially reliable and strong structure more to ensure we can help people in need.

Many of us collaborate with volunteer translations but if we can do more, we'll just give a hand to more people.

I value even more Proz.com for the creation of TWB centre and I absolutely agree with Enrique when he talks about all the people who contribute to try to make the world a better place. That's what it's all about.

Thank you for letting be (a minuscule, but grateful) part of this.

Alex
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
A belated thanks to Enrique ... Sep 3, 2011

for the badge and ... er ... where's the next project I can get involved with (g)?

Regards to all the people of good will!

Vito

Gail Tosto (X)
Gail Tosto (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
Are badge updates automatic? Jun 19, 2012

Hi Enrique, are badge updates now automatic? That is, when I do a new translation of, say, 1000 words, does my word count number automatically go up by 1000 once I submit my translation?

In the past you advised me to be sure to add each of my translations to a list of my contributions, but now I can't find a way to do that.

Thanks,
Gail

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new badge for translators without borders

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »