Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Translation contest: "Celebrations", congratulations to the first round of winners!
Thread poster: Jared Tabor
Christopher Köhler
Christopher Köhler  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:27
English to German
The contest needs more advertising Jan 26, 2015

Other posters have already expressed their discontent regarding the new deadlines for the contest. In my opinion waiting another six months is just ridiculous. And I have to agree with Erik: This does not even guarantee enough votes. So I have doubts that these new deadlines for voting will solve the problem.

But there is something I don't understand: You guys have all the data you need to advertise the contest properly and target potential voters directly. Why don't you display a m
... See more
Other posters have already expressed their discontent regarding the new deadlines for the contest. In my opinion waiting another six months is just ridiculous. And I have to agree with Erik: This does not even guarantee enough votes. So I have doubts that these new deadlines for voting will solve the problem.

But there is something I don't understand: You guys have all the data you need to advertise the contest properly and target potential voters directly. Why don't you display a memo with a direct link on the homepage of translators with language pair that needs votes or send them a system message? Remind them once in a while that their assistance is needed. Maybe you can even create some incentive (e.g. discount on proz membership). As the last six months have clearly shown waiting alone won't cut it.
Collapse

Alessandra Meregaglia
Alessandra Meregaglia  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2012)
English to Italian
+ ...
I totally agree with you, actually! Jan 26, 2015

Christopher Köhler wrote:

But there is something I don't understand: You guys have all the data you need to advertise the contest properly and target potential voters directly. Why don't you display a memo with a direct link on the homepage of translators with language pair that needs votes or send them a system message? Remind them once in a while that their assistance is needed. Maybe you can even create some incentive (e.g. discount on proz membership). As the last six months have clearly shown waiting alone won't cut it.

To my mind, all the language pairs should have the same dignity and opportunity to come to an end and their participants to win, if not an Ipad, at least a ribbon on their Proz.com webpage. We are a community, we pay all the same Proz.com membership fee, no matter if our mother tongue is not English nor our top language pair one of the most popular in the market.
We spend our time to deliver our pieces of translation, the minimum number of entries has been reached in most of the pairs, we have voted, what's more? How many marks and voters do you need, actually? Why this thing has never happened to us before? I think Proz.com staff should be happy for the high number of participants and move on to promote this contest... I love Proz.com and I am happy to take part in all its initiatives. I am sure that everything is going to be sorted out.

[Edited at 2015-01-26 11:05 GMT]

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:27
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No news, good news? Jan 29, 2015

Is no news, good news? Not in this case, I'm sorry to say! We are at the end of January 2015 and still there is no end on sight for some language pairs. I have been taking part in the translation contests since 2008 and I do consider these both entertaining and challenging, but waiting so long (almost one year) seems just wrong. Has the contest become victim of its own success? I, for one, would like an explanation…

prozetka
prozetka  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:27
German to Finnish
+ ...
Almost one year? Jan 30, 2015

Teresa Borges wrote:

Is no news, good news? Not in this case, I'm sorry to say! We are at the end of January 2015 and still there is no end on sight for some language pairs. I have been taking part in the translation contests since 2008 and I do consider these both entertaining and challenging, but waiting so long (almost one year) seems just wrong. Has the contest become victim of its own success? I, for one, would like an explanation…

Almost one year?

In some language pairs it has been announced that the _qualification phase_ will last to end of July 2015. However there is no information what will be the date when the contest will then actually be _finished_.

There is also a lack of coherence in the contest associated pages. I you look at the translation contests home page (http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/) it very clearly states that the contest is ’Finished’. If you follow the link, the Celebrations page (http://www.proz.com/translation-contests/43) starts by explicitly stating that the ’Competition is finished’. If you still bother to read on, you will see a text ’Some language pairs will remain…’ which is in glaring disagreement with the earlier statements of competition being finished.

By the way, what should one think of an annual event, that will last (at least) 15 months?

Lyubov Tyurina
Lyubov Tyurina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:27
French to Russian
+ ...
there's nothing to be done Jan 31, 2015

You can be unhappy with such contest lenght as much as you like, but the organizers can't do much about it, there are not enough voting people, and that's all. Next time it is reasonable to reduce a number of contest participants to ProZ.com members exclusively at least to avoid such problems in the future (as I've already suggested earlier in the topic).

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
How is this supposed to work? Jan 31, 2015

Lyubov Tyurina wrote:

You can be unhappy with such contest lenght as much as you like, but the organizers can't do much about it, there are not enough voting people, and that's all. Next time it is reasonable to reduce a number of contest participants to ProZ.com members exclusively at least to avoid such problems in the future (as I've already suggested earlier in the topic).

Could you explain how you expect reducing the number of participants will lead to generating more votes?

Lyubov Tyurina
Lyubov Tyurina  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:27
French to Russian
+ ...
Less translations means less work to rate them all Jan 31, 2015

Erik Freitag wrote:

Could you explain how you expect reducing the number of participants will lead to generating more votes?

I am sure: for many language pairs a big number of translations retains people from voting. To read and rate all translations thoroughly is not quick and easy.

[Edited at 2015-01-31 17:41 GMT]

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Makes sense Jan 31, 2015

Lyubov Tyurina wrote:

I am sure: for many language pairs a big number of translations retains people from voting. To read and rate all translations thoroughly is not quick and easy.

[Edited at 2015-01-31 17:41 GMT]

I see. You're right, that probably makes sense.

Paulo Caldeira
Paulo Caldeira  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Is this normal? Feb 5, 2015

All the Portuguese pairs are being relayed.
Now until...
Thanks for lost interest.
If you are waiting for a payment...wait for it until...

prozetka
prozetka  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:27
German to Finnish
+ ...
But they _can_ do something about it. Feb 7, 2015

Lyubov Tyurina wrote:

But they _can_ do something about it. Obviously somewhere there exists a definition for 'enough votes'.
But what would be the definition of ’enough’?

In my opinion, ’enough’ should be set to one. If zero votes arrive in a reasonable time-period, the organizers should end that language pair and declare it void because no one (not even the participants themselves) troubled to vote.

And if only one vote arrives, one can already settle the order then (based on that one vote). If more arrive, well, that’s good.

Regina Boltz
Regina Boltz  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:27
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Totally disappointed Feb 25, 2015

I have been participating in your contests for a long time and I cannot believe this one isn´t finished yet.
I agree it´s a huge task having so many pairs and contestants, but IMHO ProZ staff should have planned it more carefully.
I just feel I have wasted my precious time and efforts for, apparently, this will be a never ending contest .

Martine Joulia
Martine Joulia  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2010)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Moreover, one get the feeling that nobody gives a damn!!! Feb 26, 2015

No answer, nothing... Never been treated with such contempt! Very, but very disappointed.

Jule Eitel
Jule Eitel  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
When will the contest finally finish? Aug 20, 2015

Dear Proz.com staff,

I would like to know when the 2014 contest will finally come to an end. Could we get an answer please?
Thank you and best regards.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
Could not put it better! Sep 2, 2015

Martine Joulia wrote:

No answer, nothing... Never been treated with such contempt! Very, but very disappointed.

I am just flabbergasted by the utter silence, contempt or carelessness! Do we pay 100€/year for this?

Please Proz, you can do better than that!

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Will retracting entries speed things up? Sep 3, 2015

@proz staff:

Will it speed things up if I retract my contest entries? Can I do that at all?

Just an idea to help this pathetic undertaking out of its state of infinitely prolonged agony ...

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation contest: "Celebrations", congratulations to the first round of winners!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »