Exclude text in a PPTX based on font color or other properties (Want to avoid file prep)
Thread poster: adrianrff
adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
Feb 19, 2021

We just got a request to translate a somewhat large batch of PPTX files. These PPTX's will be bilingual, so each slide contains text in English and a duplicate text in blue font where the translation is to be replaced.

This means we need to import only these blocks of blue text, but the PowerPoint filter in memoQ is very limited. I could use a regex filter, but that would mean preparing ALL the files (before and after) by enclosing the translatable text in a group of distinctive cha
... See more
We just got a request to translate a somewhat large batch of PPTX files. These PPTX's will be bilingual, so each slide contains text in English and a duplicate text in blue font where the translation is to be replaced.

This means we need to import only these blocks of blue text, but the PowerPoint filter in memoQ is very limited. I could use a regex filter, but that would mean preparing ALL the files (before and after) by enclosing the translatable text in a group of distinctive characters, for example. We want to avoid having to do this.

Is there a way to use another type of filter (perhaps XML?) to detect font color and create a filter based on that?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adrian Feb 19, 2021

adrianrff wrote:
These PPTX's will be bilingual, so each slide contains text in English and a duplicate text in blue font where the translation is to be replaced.

I do have MemoQ but I don't really use it all that much. But hey, you're right: MemoQ doesn't have WYSIWIG! I mean, it has bold, italics etc. but it doesn't show font colours. I don't know if there is a way to make it show font colours, or to force it to add formatting tags to all segments.

This may not be useful to you, but: Trados does show the font colour from PPTX files. And then you can use the "Advanced Display Filter 2.0" (which is either built-in or is a free plugin) to filter segments that contain that particular colour, and then lock all other segments. Then translate the SDLXLIFF files in MemoQ, I suppose.

Trados does not have "views" and you can't export visible segments to e.g. bilingual review (if you filter segments, and then export to bilingual review, it exports all segments).

Is there a way to use another type of filter (perhaps XML?) to detect font color and create a filter based on that?

The tags that contain font colour information are present in the individual slides, but they are standalone tags, so it's not simple XML.

Grigori Gazarian

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:29
English to Russian
You can export visible segments Feb 20, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:
Trados does not have "views" and you can't export visible segments to e.g. bilingual review (if you filter segments, and then export to bilingual review, it exports all segments).
You can use Sdl.Community.StudioViews.sdlplugin for that.

Once filtered, invoke the plugin and select the 'Visible segments' option, then Export.

[Edited at 2021-02-20 11:48 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Yaotl Altan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:29
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
My heart leaped... Feb 20, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
Once filtered, invoke the plugin and select the 'Visible segments' option, then Export.

...then sank again when I realised it was Studio 2021 only.
But thanks for the tip anyway. First time I've thought about upgrading from 2019.

Would also love to be able to print only filtered segments.

Dan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 14:29
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Location of the Trados plugin Feb 20, 2021

Stepan Konev wrote:
You can use Sdl.Community.StudioViews.sdlplugin for that.

Thanks. Location: https://appstore.sdl.com/language/app/studioviews/1162/
And you must have installed the latest Trados service pack (SR1). Importing also works fine, even if the export SDLXLIFF file was translated in OmegaT, WFP3, WFP6 or MemoQ. I'm not sure if one can install this plugin with a trial version of Trados.

[Edited at 2021-02-20 11:53 GMT]

Stepan Konev

adrianrff
adrianrff
Venezuela
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
We'll give it a try Feb 23, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

This may not be useful to you, but: Trados does show the font colour from PPTX files. And then you can use the "Advanced Display Filter 2.0" (which is either built-in or is a free plugin) to filter segments that contain that particular colour, and then lock all other segments. Then translate the SDLXLIFF files in MemoQ, I suppose.

Thank you, Samuel, and all. I'll give this a look. It's not ideal in our case, as we only have a couple of Trados licenses for almost 20 PMs, but I'll see what I can do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exclude text in a PPTX based on font color or other properties (Want to avoid file prep)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »