Thread poster: pmakinen
pmakinen
pmakinen  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:46
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2018

This recent upgrade seems to have left all my old projects inaccessible. The Manage Projects dialog list comes up empty, the Open Recent button is greyed out, and the Import Project button is of no use, since the directory window does not display the .mrpx file.

Any ideas about what happened?

pmakinen
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Further details from clicking on .mrpx file in windows explorer Nov 24, 2018

TYPE:
System.InvalidOperationException

There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
at Kilgray.Utils.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath, Type[] extraT
... See more
TYPE:
System.InvalidOperationException

There is an error in XML document (0, 0).

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(Stream stream)
at Kilgray.Utils.SerializationHelper.DeserializeXML(Type objType, String filePath, Type[] extraTypes)
at MemoQ.Project.ProjectDocument.LoadProjectInfo(String filePath)
------------------ Inner exception ------------------

TYPE:
System.Xml.XmlException

SOURCE:
System.Xml

CALL STACK:
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
at System.Xml.XmlReader.MoveToContent()
at Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReaderProjectInfo.Read83_ProjectInfo()

SYSTEM INFORMATION:
MemoQ version : 8.6.6
OS version : 6.1.7601
OS architecture : 64-bit
Visible memory : 8368964
Free memory : 1931860
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
.NET version : v2.0.50727 SP2, v3.0 SP2, v3.5 SP1, v4, v4.0
Collapse

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:46
English to Russian
+ ...
projects access issue Nov 24, 2018

The first and easiest solution to check the seriousness of your problem is trying to open your old peojects manually:
1. Go to your projects folder (you can find the its location in MemoQ options - Locations)
2. Open one of the projects folder.
3. Right click on the file Project.mprx (do not doubleclick it. it does not help even though it shows that this is MemoQ-openable file)
4. Open with...
5. If there is MemoQ in the list choose it. If there isn't - browse for t
... See more
The first and easiest solution to check the seriousness of your problem is trying to open your old peojects manually:
1. Go to your projects folder (you can find the its location in MemoQ options - Locations)
2. Open one of the projects folder.
3. Right click on the file Project.mprx (do not doubleclick it. it does not help even though it shows that this is MemoQ-openable file)
4. Open with...
5. If there is MemoQ in the list choose it. If there isn't - browse for the file MemoQ.exe (you can find it by right-clicking the MemoQ link and choosing File location)
6. Click OK.
This should open your project in MemoQ.
Yes it is time consuming work, but at least it can help you easily define the seriousness of your trouble. And even solve it, if this way would be comfortable for you.
Good luck.
Hope your Memow did not currupt your projects.
To avoid that I backup all MemoQ working folders (projects, TMs, TBs, LiveDOcs)
You should think about that too.
Collapse

pmakinen
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Successful workaround Nov 25, 2018

I was able to retrieve the document from the translation memory after reindexing, so I am much happier now. Fortunately, it was not a rush project with a rapidly approaching deadline. Still cannot open any old projects, but that is less of a concern because memoQ automatically loads all the glossaries and TMs available for whatever language pair you're working with, and reindexing will hopefully work for the other TMs as well.

[Edited at 2018-11-25 05:52 GMT]

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
projects opening Nov 25, 2018

pmakinen wrote:

Still cannot open any old projects.

[Edited at 2018-11-25 05:52 GMT]

Did you use my method? Or you were trying to open it using memoq menu?
Told you, you should use Open with... option.

pmakinen
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Context Menu Fails Too Nov 25, 2018

Yes, even opening the file via the context menu as you described did not work.

pmakinen
Member (2005)
Croatian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Reindexing Nov 27, 2018

The TM reindex was accomplished by clicking on the "repair" button after memoQ generated the error message about the TM when I retranslated the file.

Anthony Veretyuk
Anthony Veretyuk
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
project issue Nov 27, 2018

Hello again.
I think that the best solution for the moment (if that is not strictly required by the customer) is to roll back to earlier version of MemoQ.
I suggest that you should make a back-up copy of you folders (projects, TMs, TBs at least) and then try to open your resources and projects with earlier version.
If that is uncomfortable for now you can send any project to me and I shall try open it by means of the Version 8.4.9 (of course keeping it all confidential without
... See more
Hello again.
I think that the best solution for the moment (if that is not strictly required by the customer) is to roll back to earlier version of MemoQ.
I suggest that you should make a back-up copy of you folders (projects, TMs, TBs at least) and then try to open your resources and projects with earlier version.
If that is uncomfortable for now you can send any project to me and I shall try open it by means of the Version 8.4.9 (of course keeping it all confidential without any doubt).
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ 8.6.6 upgrade

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »