Thread poster: Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:37
English to Swedish
+ ...
Feb 6, 2013

I want to use memoQ on an Excel file for the first time.

In the source document, the source strings are all in Column C. I'm supposed to put my translation in Column D.

The other columns contain other data that I shouldn´t touch.

How should I approach this with memoQ?
Ideally, the translation interface should only display the source contents from Column C and, when exporting, memoQ should place my corresponding translations in the corresponding cell
... See more
I want to use memoQ on an Excel file for the first time.

In the source document, the source strings are all in Column C. I'm supposed to put my translation in Column D.

The other columns contain other data that I shouldn´t touch.

How should I approach this with memoQ?
Ideally, the translation interface should only display the source contents from Column C and, when exporting, memoQ should place my corresponding translations in the corresponding cells in Column D, while keeping all other columns as they are.

I´ve tried to import the Excel file, but memoQ displays all contents of all columns and fields for translation (not only the fields in Column C) and doesn´t give me, it seems, any option to select the right source and target columns.

Thanks,

Thomas

[Edited at 2013-02-06 17:39 GMT]
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:37
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Simple! Feb 6, 2013

Copy the translatable text to column D, then use Import with options, and when the Document import options opens, choose the link Change filter and configuration. In the dialog box that opens, choose the Import only these ranges button, click the link Select ranges in Excel, and mark column D in Excel and add the range. Click away the dialog boxes, and there you have it!

Andrea Bertocchi
Andrea Bertocchi  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
Import with options Feb 6, 2013

Hi Thomas,

when you create the project, select "Import with options", then you can select the cells you need to translate by clicking on "Change filter and configuration" > "Import only these ranges" > "Select ranges in Excel".

If you want to get a bilingual Excel at the end, just copy the source column (C) in your esample to target column (D), then select column D in the above mentioned process.
We spoke about that here a couple of days ago.

Have fun
... See more
Hi Thomas,

when you create the project, select "Import with options", then you can select the cells you need to translate by clicking on "Change filter and configuration" > "Import only these ranges" > "Select ranges in Excel".

If you want to get a bilingual Excel at the end, just copy the source column (C) in your esample to target column (D), then select column D in the above mentioned process.
We spoke about that here a couple of days ago.

Have fun and pardon my hugly English!

Andrea
Collapse

Craig Thomas Smith

Thomas Johansson
Thomas Johansson  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 04:37
English to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Feb 6, 2013

Thank you, that helps.

It´s a pity it's necessary to copy source from the source column, C, to the target column, D. In my case, some fields in the target column already have a translation in them.

I would suggest to memoQ developers that they develop a way for selecting one column as source and another as target. In my case, for instance, it would be great if I could get segments from column C displayed in the left-hand column of the memoQ translation interface, while
... See more
Thank you, that helps.

It´s a pity it's necessary to copy source from the source column, C, to the target column, D. In my case, some fields in the target column already have a translation in them.

I would suggest to memoQ developers that they develop a way for selecting one column as source and another as target. In my case, for instance, it would be great if I could get segments from column C displayed in the left-hand column of the memoQ translation interface, while the translations I put in the right-hand column eventually should be placed in the corresponding fields of column D, at the time of exporting.

Thomas
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:37
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Thomas: Feb 6, 2013

I think you might be able to do what you want using the memoQ bilingual RTFs and a little copy/pasting.

If you copy both your columns C and D into a memoQ bilingual RTF and import this you ought to have the stuff in column C in the source side of the translation grid and the few pieces that were already translated (column D) will show up on the target side.

Michael

Sam Whatley
Sam Whatley
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Coming up! Feb 8, 2013

I e-mailed Kilgray about this recently, and their reply was very positive:

"I have good news here - the multilingual Excel filter will be released before the end of February, in a memoQ 6.2 build. It is already working for multilingual CSV files, just tried it over the weekend."

So it looks like this is coming soon!

Profdoc
Profdoc
Swedish to English
@Sam: Mar 6, 2013

The multilingual Excel filter sounds very insteresting. I upgraded to version 6.2.11 a few days back but I can't find it. I checked the fix list for 6.2.12 from March 4th and it wasn't there either. Any more news on when the filter might show up? Or have I missed something?

[Edited at 2013-03-06 13:43 GMT]

Sam Whatley
Sam Whatley
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
@Profdoc: Mar 21, 2013

I feel your pain - I've also updated to the latest build, but I can't seem to find it either. Maybe it's been pushed back?

We've got some large Excel-based QA checks coming up at work soon and this would be so helpful if it gets implemented before then!

I might reopen the support ticket about this to see if it's still on the cards.

SusanneM
SusanneM
English to German
+ ...
Available now Apr 2, 2013

The filter is available in 6.2.15.

Gema Pedreda
Gema Pedreda  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2011)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Does it work in MemoQ 8.7? Dec 11, 2018

Does anybody know how to do it in version 8.7? Thank you!

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:37
English to Russian
Do what? Dec 12, 2018

Hi Gema,
If you have a source column, copy it as next column (target). Hide all columns (select columns, right click on them, select Hide from dropdown menu) except for the target.
Translate the target column, go to Excel, unhide all. To unhide all, select all (Ctrl+A) then hover your mouse over any column letter, click the right button and select Unhide.
This is what Thomas Johansson asked in his original post, and memoQ has nothing to do with this task (unless you have a diff
... See more
Hi Gema,
If you have a source column, copy it as next column (target). Hide all columns (select columns, right click on them, select Hide from dropdown menu) except for the target.
Translate the target column, go to Excel, unhide all. To unhide all, select all (Ctrl+A) then hover your mouse over any column letter, click the right button and select Unhide.
This is what Thomas Johansson asked in his original post, and memoQ has nothing to do with this task (unless you have a different one).
In his second post, he added a condition that changed the task completely. That is why it is important to know which task out of the two above you wanto to do.

P.S. If you have more than one worksheet, hide other worksheets that do not contain any translatable text or repeat the above steps for worksheets that contain translatable text. Don't forget to unhide worksheets or columns once you are done with translation.

[Edited at 2018-12-13 01:57 GMT]
Collapse

Atso Puronen
Atso Puronen
Local time: 11:37
English to Finnish
Multilingual Delimited Text Filter Dec 20, 2018

Hello Gema,

If you want to prepare your Excel file with memoQ, I'd recommend using Multilingual Delimited Text Filter.

Simply select "Import with Options...", select your Excel file, select "Change filter and configuration" and select "Multilingual delimited text filter".

Making the settings fit your needs is pretty easy. Check memoQ help for more information.

Atso

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translating Excel file columns with memoQ

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »