Any views on PROMT 12 or 18/19 vs latest versions of TRADOS or MemSource for a freelancer?
Thread poster: Yury Grinev (X)
Yury Grinev (X)
Yury Grinev (X)
United States
Local time: 08:50
English to Russian
Sep 21, 2018

Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone can share their feedback based on practical experience with latest/recent versions of PROMT vs TRADOS or MemSource in terms of how user-friendly it is. I am not very technically savvy, so I would appreciate an explanation in layman's terms. I am looking to buy some machine translation tool and have been very impressed with the PROMT's idea of combining a translation memory system with machine translation. I also heard from a guy that if you train it, its
... See more
Hello everyone,
I wonder if anyone can share their feedback based on practical experience with latest/recent versions of PROMT vs TRADOS or MemSource in terms of how user-friendly it is. I am not very technically savvy, so I would appreciate an explanation in layman's terms. I am looking to buy some machine translation tool and have been very impressed with the PROMT's idea of combining a translation memory system with machine translation. I also heard from a guy that if you train it, its machine translation can be very close to a good human translation. But I wonder how easy it is to work with PROMPT's translation memory databases and terminology bases (importing, exporting, saving, updating, using TRADOS's, etc.) for somebody who is not, and does not want to be, an IT professional. I've used TRADOS for years, and have just discovered MemSource, which I found to be very refreshing after TRADOS (can be compared to switching from Windows Mobile to Apple iOS), which also prompted the idea that there may be other tools that do not give you all those headaches with files failing to open, tags messed up or so dense that they obstruct the view of the text, customization tools hidden so deeply or worded so technically complex that you just don't want to use them, etc.
Thank you!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Any views on PROMT 12 or 18/19 vs latest versions of TRADOS or MemSource for a freelancer?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »