Express Scribe Question
Thread poster: James Hodges
James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:53
Japanese to English
Jun 9, 2016

At the moment I am using a combination of Microsoft Word, Nuance Dragon Speech and Express Scribe to listen to some interviews in Japan and directly transcribe theme into English. The setup works well, but there is one major problem. With the Express Scribe settings, I use the small floating menu which lays itself over the Word document. However, this menu (although always) visible, doesn't remain "hot" (or live). As such, every time I want the audio fill to play, I manually have to click on the... See more
At the moment I am using a combination of Microsoft Word, Nuance Dragon Speech and Express Scribe to listen to some interviews in Japan and directly transcribe theme into English. The setup works well, but there is one major problem. With the Express Scribe settings, I use the small floating menu which lays itself over the Word document. However, this menu (although always) visible, doesn't remain "hot" (or live). As such, every time I want the audio fill to play, I manually have to click on the controls. Although I have a foot pedal to control the audio, it won't work unless this menu is "hot" (or live/selected). Is there anyway of rigging Express Scribe so that it stays responsible to the foot pedal all the time?Collapse

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:53
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 9, 2016

James Hodges wrote:

At the moment I am using a combination of Microsoft Word, Nuance Dragon Speech and Express Scribe to listen to some interviews in Japan and directly transcribe theme into English. The setup works well, but there is one major problem. With the Express Scribe settings, I use the small floating menu which lays itself over the Word document. However, this menu (although always) visible, doesn't remain "hot" (or live). As such, every time I want the audio fill to play, I manually have to click on the controls. Although I have a foot pedal to control the audio, it won't work unless this menu is "hot" (or live/selected). Is there anyway of rigging Express Scribe so that it stays responsible to the foot pedal all the time?

Hi James,

Try this:

1. Go to View > Click "Float Above Other Windows"
2. Go to Options > System-Wide Hot Keys > Check "Enable System-Wide Hot Keys"

James Hodges
James Hodges  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 23:53
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Follow Up Jun 9, 2016

Dear Max
Thanks for the feedback. I did what you suggested but it doesn't seem to work. The floating menu above the page is fine and when it is selected (by clicking on it) the pedal works. However, when I click on the Word document (to insert the cursor) the floating menu is deselected (although I can still see it). That means that to get the audio to advance again using the pedal, I have to click on the floating menu again.

All ideas greatly accepted.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:53
Member (2013)
English to Russian
- Jun 9, 2016

James Hodges wrote:

Dear Max
Thanks for the feedback. I did what you suggested but it doesn't seem to work. The floating menu above the page is fine and when it is selected (by clicking on it) the pedal works. However, when I click on the Word document (to insert the cursor) the floating menu is deselected (although I can still see it). That means that to get the audio to advance again using the pedal, I have to click on the floating menu again.

All ideas greatly accepted.

James, are you sure you've configured your foot pedal correctly in Options > Control?

You can find the description here: http://help.nchsoftware.com/help/en/scribe/win/options-controller.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Express Scribe Question

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »