CafeTran Espresso Cornetto
Thread poster: Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Sep 16, 2020

For a long time, the idea of selling frozen ice-cream cones had been impractical, as the ice cream would soak into the cone during the manufacturing process and make it soggy and unpalatable when served.

In 1959, Spica, an Italian ice-cream manufacturer based in Naples, overcame this problem by insulating the inside of the waffle cone from the ice cream with a coating of oil, sugar, and chocolate: the Spica Cornetto.

Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 12.15.12

Today the new build of CafeTran Espresso was released, named Cornetto:

https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions/topics/6000062450

Summer is almost over, so hurry to get your Cornetto.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
But when? Sep 16, 2020

It says
"Important! Do not update before exporting your current projects. Please complete all your translation projects in your current CafeTran version before updating."

That could be months from now. I have several big jobs I'm working on very slowly, in between doing other jobs.

Anyone who is currently doing anything with CafeTran will simply not be able to upgrade.

Like all applications in 2020, surely CafeTran needs to be able to update itself
... See more
It says
"Important! Do not update before exporting your current projects. Please complete all your translation projects in your current CafeTran version before updating."

That could be months from now. I have several big jobs I'm working on very slowly, in between doing other jobs.

Anyone who is currently doing anything with CafeTran will simply not be able to upgrade.

Like all applications in 2020, surely CafeTran needs to be able to update itself without destroying anything? That's what we're all used to.

[Edited at 2020-09-16 12:14 GMT]
Collapse

Igor Kmitowski
Igor Kmitowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 16:28
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Cornetto Sep 18, 2020

@Hans. This one is tastier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornetto_(pastry)

@Tom. Maintaining compatibility with the earlier versions of the software (and its projects) is still an issue even in 2020. From the developer's perspective, it is sometimes a hard choice between moving on with new features (e.g. the improved filters for documents) and keeping the ones which are essen
... See more
@Hans. This one is tastier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornetto_(pastry)

@Tom. Maintaining compatibility with the earlier versions of the software (and its projects) is still an issue even in 2020. From the developer's perspective, it is sometimes a hard choice between moving on with new features (e.g. the improved filters for documents) and keeping the ones which are essential for older projects. Nonetheless, your remark in this regard is valid.
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
OK Sep 18, 2020

Igor Kmitowski wrote:

@Tom. Maintaining compatibility with the earlier versions of the software (and its projects) is still an issue even in 2020. From the developer's perspective, it is sometimes a hard choice between moving on with new features (e.g. the improved filters for documents) and keeping the ones which are essential for older projects. Nonetheless, your remark in this regard is valid.

Thanks Igor. I simply exported the very large document that I had partly translated, and then restarted it in the upgraded CafeTran, as a new project. Of course that means the stored data is not preserved, but as a work-around this is better than nothing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CafeTran Espresso Cornetto

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »