Thread poster: Gerhard Wiesinger
Gerhard Wiesinger
Gerhard Wiesinger  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
May 19, 2018

I closed Cafetran and attempted to open it again after a few hours. First nothing happened, then some popup, forgot the details but said something to fact that my Cafetran has now been unblocked and a number of other things that I don't remember.
Clicked OK, opened Cafetran and there is no button to open previous projects, it doesn't appear to remember my previous settings, nothing. It is like I have to start from scratch.
When I go to the projects file in explorer and click on the p
... See more
I closed Cafetran and attempted to open it again after a few hours. First nothing happened, then some popup, forgot the details but said something to fact that my Cafetran has now been unblocked and a number of other things that I don't remember.
Clicked OK, opened Cafetran and there is no button to open previous projects, it doesn't appear to remember my previous settings, nothing. It is like I have to start from scratch.
When I go to the projects file in explorer and click on the project file I want to open, double-clicking does not do it. Right-clicking and selecting open with Cafetran does not open the project. Nothing happens.
What happened? Please help.
I include a screen shot of my Cafetran product information if it helps
Cafetran Product information
Collapse

Tracy Nuzzo

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 23:41
English to Indonesian
+ ...
There is... May 20, 2018

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote: Clicked OK, opened Cafetran and there is no button to open previous projects

In the Dashboard, there's a drop-down menu (almost at the top) that reads Open | Open project...

Alternatively, you can close the DashBoard, and open the file in the menu, via Open Project or Recent Projects.

And lastly, you can drop the Project on the DashBoard

Cheers,

Hans

[Edited at 2018-05-20 02:56 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
CafeTran related settings deleted or reset May 20, 2018

Hello, Gerard,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your CafeTran installation.

What happened just before this issue? Did you run a Java or CafeTran update? Did you change anything Java-related? Moved or deleted some folders? Cleaned up the registry, etc.?

Is CafeTran installed at the default location? On Windows, I think this would be: C:\CafeTran Espresso

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

First nothing happened, then some popup, forgot the details but said something to the fact that my Cafetran has now been unblocked and a number of other things that I don’t remember.
Clicked OK, opened Cafetran and there is no button to open previous projects, it doesn’t appear to remember my previous settings, nothing. It is like I have to start from scratch.

It seems like the program’s settings are gone, but the software itself works fine (and is properly licensed). On GNU/Linux, this happens if the .java hidden folder within the user directory (where CafeTran stores its settings) is renamed or deleted.

This also occurs if you purposely or accidentally hit the Reset settings button in the Preferences.

Unfortunately, I don’t know where these settings are stored on Windows, but I guess they are not within CafeTran’s folder. Sorry I cannot help with that.

Worse case scenario, you’ll need to configure CafeTran again. Please note TM, glossaries and web resources do not need to be created from scratch, just added back to the interface. No data is lost.

I’m not sure you will receive an answer from the developer support on a Sunday (here or via a ticket), but you may also want to open a support ticket: https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/tickets (you can use the account created for purchasing the license, which will also work for the official support forum, at https://cafetran.freshdesk.com/support/discussions).

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

When I go to the projects file in explorer and click on the project file I want to open, double-clicking does not do it. Right-clicking and selecting open with Cafetran does not open the project. Nothing happens.
What happened? Please help.

This is not the way I use to open previous projects in CafeTran if they are not present in the Dashboard’s recent projects drop-down menu.

You can pick at least one of the following:
- With CafeTran Dashboard open, just drag and drop the project’s .xlf
- Within the Dashboard, click on the recent projects drop-down menu, and select the last two options (either Open project or Open project folder). Then, select the .xlf or project folder you wish to open in CafeTran
- Close the Dashboard if it’s open (Dashboard menu button—the one with the three horizontal lines—Close Dashboard), Project > Open project or Open project folder (Ctrl+O) > Select the .xlf or the project folder itself.

Jean

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Deleted May 20, 2018

Deleted

[Edited at 2018-05-20 04:21 GMT]

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Update? May 20, 2018

In a previous posting (https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/323048-updated_java_today_now_cafetran_crashes.html ) you wrote that you were using CT with Java 1.8.0-161-b12. Any particular reason not to update then to Java 1.9 (or 1.10 in ... See more
In a previous posting (https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/323048-updated_java_today_now_cafetran_crashes.html ) you wrote that you were using CT with Java 1.8.0-161-b12. Any particular reason not to update then to Java 1.9 (or 1.10 in the meantime: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre10-downloads-4417026.html )?

You obviously have updated your CT from 2017122602-Forerunner 2018 to the more recent 2018032401 Akua 2018 update 3. I think that this version should be run with Java 1.9. The developer could confirm this.

On a side note: How did you solve your problems at that time?

Edit:

Right-clicking and selecting open with Cafetran does not open the project. Nothing happens.

I've updated my Windows 10 laptop to the latest versions of Java and CT. I've right-clicked on an XLF file that I had created with CT: CT doesn't appear in the context menu. AFAIK, this way of opening existing projects has never been supported by CT.

Please use the procedure described by Jean, to open your XLF file.

[Edited at 2018-05-20 09:00 GMT]
Collapse

Gerhard Wiesinger
Gerhard Wiesinger  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:41
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In a time crunch, will try the recommendations later May 21, 2018

Thank you for the replies.
Since I have very tight deadlines, I took the translation memory and imported it into another CAT tool to continue my work there. I will look at the recommendations later in the week.
Again, thank you.
BTW, for some reason, most of the functionality returned (no idea why it was gone and no idea why it returned).

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Save some settings May 23, 2018

Gerhard Wiesinger wrote:

BTW, for some reason, most of the functionality returned (no idea why it was gone and no idea why it returned).

Things like these happen, with computers. Glad that you could find your work.

Note that you can use Project Templates to save many settings. I'll write a separate posting about this subject:

https://www.proz.com/forum/cafetran_support/325523-saving_settings_in_project_templates.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Opened CafeTran and everyting was gone

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »