Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 08:33
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
They chose a lower markup. Dec 9, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Not surprise at all they charge at least double your price in order to cover all their numerous costs

The job in question was won by another agency. So some agencies are perfectly able to load their own costs + profit on top of the translator's price, and still win the job.

Yes, that's their own internal decision (lower profit, less staff to pay, something else). Maybe your agency that offered a higher price pays $5000 daily for digital marketing and google positioning. You never know, hey. In a competing industry such translation/translation agencies those are expected costs.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@Michael Dec 9, 2020

In Sweden, a central agency Kammarkollegiet awards three-year contracts for translation in different languages covering most or all of the public sector.

IIRC all translations have to be offered to the five winning bidders in order.

Due to the huge size of the contracts and paperwork, it’s not feasible for a freelancer to be awarded one of the English contracts. When I last looked, the top agency had quoted substantially less than I charge anyway...

This
... See more
In Sweden, a central agency Kammarkollegiet awards three-year contracts for translation in different languages covering most or all of the public sector.

IIRC all translations have to be offered to the five winning bidders in order.

Due to the huge size of the contracts and paperwork, it’s not feasible for a freelancer to be awarded one of the English contracts. When I last looked, the top agency had quoted substantially less than I charge anyway...

This means, for example, that I have to translate a government agency’s economic forecasts through an agency. The agency simply forwards the emails. My work is not checked in any way. They add no value whatsoever, just a delay. I don’t know what markup the agency applies, but they won’t give me any other work because I’m too expensive for them. I don’t know how the client is able to pay above the standard rate to secure my brilliance.

Clearly different countries apply EU rules very differently. One central bank can only use me through an agency, whereas another manages to use me directly. How can that be? It’s stupid and it’s frustrating.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Dec 9, 2020

I’m not sure the information you have is correct as I know that the European Commission in 2010 took action against my country for not giving access to individuals regarding public procurement (https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_10_303). Besides that, many translators as individuals have successfully taken part in calls for tenders for translation ... See more
I’m not sure the information you have is correct as I know that the European Commission in 2010 took action against my country for not giving access to individuals regarding public procurement (https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_10_303). Besides that, many translators as individuals have successfully taken part in calls for tenders for translation services…Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Not in Italy Dec 9, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

I’m not sure the information you have is correct as I know that the European Commission in 2010 took action against my country for not giving access to individuals regarding public procurement (https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_10_303). Besides that, many translators as individuals have successfully taken part in calls for tenders for translation services…

Not in Italy.

https://tinyurl.com/y5v6hcju

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Dec 9, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I’m not sure the information you have is correct as I know that the European Commission in 2010 took action against my country for not giving access to individuals regarding public procurement (https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/IP_10_303). Besides that, many translators as individuals have successfully taken part in calls for tenders for translation services…

Not in Italy.

https://tinyurl.com/y5v6hcju

Then, it's Italian law, not EU law...

Sanjin Grandić
Sanjin Grandić  Identity Verified
Croatia
Local time: 08:33
Member (2020)
French to Croatian
+ ...
Double for interpretation Dec 9, 2020

I had a consecutive interpretation / liason early this year just before the Covid.
It was four and a half days for a French multinational, I got paid €1100 to find out later that the agency charged the Client double. But it is their Client.
Long live direct clients.

Christopher Schröder
Christel Zipfel
Tom in London
Adieu

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
EU Dec 9, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

It's the Italian implementation of EU law.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Dec 9, 2020

One thing to remember is that whatever the company's operational costs are, they are NOT to be generated from a SINGLE sub-contractor!

And, in all honesty, what are the operational costs of a company that is making the freelancer cover their own workplace, hardware, software, power, data plan, maintenance, etc., and doesn't grant them PAID sick leave, annual leave, maternity/paternity leave, etc.?

Compared to other sectors, those translation company's OCs are almost chi
... See more
One thing to remember is that whatever the company's operational costs are, they are NOT to be generated from a SINGLE sub-contractor!

And, in all honesty, what are the operational costs of a company that is making the freelancer cover their own workplace, hardware, software, power, data plan, maintenance, etc., and doesn't grant them PAID sick leave, annual leave, maternity/paternity leave, etc.?

Compared to other sectors, those translation company's OCs are almost child's play! Noting that many of today's translation companies are actually brokers with no physical workplace location!

We have a saying that translates into "unattended money prompts theft". Had the officials of that university been cautious about its financial resources, they wouldn't allow any middleman at all. A university with a website that can't hire its own HR, or perhaps can't get a website to begin with?!

I'm, however, aware that sometimes it's about size of the cut the university official(s) will get, under the table, from that company's markup; one company might accept, say, 40% of $1K, while another would insist on 80% of $1.5K, thus leaving the official(s) a smaller cut. Not necessarily the case here, though!
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes and no Dec 10, 2020

Sadek

I agree with your first 3 paragraphs - and you make some very good points - but not with the rest.

Sadek_A
Sadek_A  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:33
English to Arabic
+ ...
..... Dec 10, 2020

Tom
It's okay, you don't have to agree with the last two.
Nevertheless, I've seen higher education institutions spending money left and right on unnecessary items and arrangements, simply because they have to finish the current budget before receiving the new one.
I can also confirm that in similar recruitment arrangements, the institution's link would, most of the time, be charging a covert "procurement fee". However, they are always caught in the dilemma between a satisfactor
... See more
Tom
It's okay, you don't have to agree with the last two.
Nevertheless, I've seen higher education institutions spending money left and right on unnecessary items and arrangements, simply because they have to finish the current budget before receiving the new one.
I can also confirm that in similar recruitment arrangements, the institution's link would, most of the time, be charging a covert "procurement fee". However, they are always caught in the dilemma between a satisfactory company/official commission breakdown and the necessity to keep final amounts below radar level on institution's records.
Collapse

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Dec 11, 2020

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I just wonder why it's always the EU's fault whenever something goes bad in a Member State as if national governments aren’t involved in taking decisions at EU level…

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
You missed my point Dec 11, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

Tom in London wrote:

Teresa Borges wrote:

I just wonder why it's always the EU's fault whenever something goes bad in a Member State as if national governments aren’t involved in taking decisions at EU level…

You missed my point. In my opinion Brexit is a triumph of stupidity, and the Brits (including non-Brits like me who have to live in the UK) are about to find out exactly what they voted for. It isn't going to be pretty.

I am wholly in favour of the European idea (although far-reaching reforms are needed).

[Edited at 2020-12-11 11:30 GMT]

Sanjin Grandić
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Adieu

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Tom Dec 11, 2020

Sorry if I did, but you were the one who said:

"These rules apply to all fields of activity so far as public institutions within the EU are concerned. One of many things that are wrong with the EU."

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Dec 11, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

Sorry if I did, but you were the one who said:

"These rules apply to all fields of activity so far as public institutions within the EU are concerned. One of many things that are wrong with the EU."

Yes; there are many things wrong with the EU. So I confirm what I already said. What was it that you didn't understand?

[Edited at 2020-12-11 12:23 GMT]

LIZ LI
LIZ LI  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 15:33
French to Chinese
+ ...
Wrong way for both Dec 15, 2020

Usually, an agency comes to translators with a job, potential or not.
And it is then eligible to get the margin BY assuming their responsability in project management, quality controle and marketing and so on.

But in this case, the translator came with a bid / an oppoturnity to an agency and the latter applied the same strategy.
It means that the agency hadn't bring any added value to this deal but they still kept the same margin to themself.

Translator - B
... See more
Usually, an agency comes to translators with a job, potential or not.
And it is then eligible to get the margin BY assuming their responsability in project management, quality controle and marketing and so on.

But in this case, the translator came with a bid / an oppoturnity to an agency and the latter applied the same strategy.
It means that the agency hadn't bring any added value to this deal but they still kept the same margin to themself.

Translator - Bad choice of partner.
Agency - Bad choice of strategy OR THEY DO NOT CARE AT ALL.
Collapse

Tom in London

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies that price you out of the market

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »