Thread poster: MGL
MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:31
Russian to English
Jul 24, 2008

I am using XP, and this issue concerns Multiterm 7.5 Build 448

This issue concerns using MT separately, not in Word.

I can open the program, and I can open a termbase. I want to add entries, and when I attempt to do so, I get two different Java-flavored messages, both entitled:

"Java (TM) Plug-In Fatal Error"

The first one I get the first time I attempt to add an entry:

"Java runtime environment cannot be loaded."

The
... See more
I am using XP, and this issue concerns Multiterm 7.5 Build 448

This issue concerns using MT separately, not in Word.

I can open the program, and I can open a termbase. I want to add entries, and when I attempt to do so, I get two different Java-flavored messages, both entitled:

"Java (TM) Plug-In Fatal Error"

The first one I get the first time I attempt to add an entry:

"Java runtime environment cannot be loaded."

The second message appears at the second and subsequent attempts:

"Several Java virtual machines running the same process caused an error."

Then, I get another window entitled "Internet Explorer Script Error," which gives me a line number and some other information that I don't know what to do with, including the address of what appears to be a Temp file. I use IE7, if it matters.

When I close MT I get a "Multiterm.exe application error" message that refers to some 0x2e746e65 address.

What does it all mean? It was working fine the last time I tried it, which was maybe a week or 10 days ago. In case it matters, am having a minor issue with MT in Word (I was getting runtime errors, so I replaced the template, and now I magically have two MultiTerm menus and toolbars in Word, and Word constantly asks me if I want to save the stupid template.) That's tolerable, but I'd like to be able to work with MT as a standalone app as well.

Is this just an issue of updating Java? Reinstalling Multiterm (*sigh*)? Fiddling with something else?

I'd sure appreciate any advice or suggestions for getting this program back on track!

ADDENDUM:
Yes, I saw the other thread (thanks to Google...)
I deactivated automatic updates long ago.
Yes, I installed Java 1.4.2_08.
No, it didn't work.

[Edited at 2008-07-24 23:51]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Looks like your Java environment is shot Jul 25, 2008

Check in the list of installed software, what (kind of) Java versions are installed. Could be there's some other (IBM?) Version in there, that creates havoc.

regards

Vito

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
arrrrrrggghhh Jul 25, 2008

Well, last night I began uninstalling and reinstalling, and now I want to throw things.

I cannot reinstall Multiterm, apparently because "There is not enough room on drive C:\ to extract this FFFFFFFFF package"

I have 38G avail on the drive, how is this not sufficient? I even did a defrag.

!@#!$%$%^!^^$!

UPDATE:
Well, I rolled the system back and reinstalled.
The Multiterm is still glitching.

[Edited at 2008-07-25 16:18]

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Solution? May 29, 2009

Hi Megan - did you ever find the solution for this? I have the same problem, and it's driving me nutty. I sincerely hope these MultiTerm issues will disappear with Trados 2009... !

Kate

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
mmhmm May 29, 2009

Katherine Mérignac wrote:

Hi Megan - did you ever find the solution for this? I have the same problem, and it's driving me nutty. I sincerely hope these MultiTerm issues will disappear with Trados 2009... !

Kate

Well, yes... but you aren't going to like it.

*I* didn't like it.

I basically just threw my hands up and did a system recovery, i.e., rolled the hard drive back to factory settings, started from zero and reinstalled EVERYTHING on my computer after backing up my files. A giant PITA, but it worked.

Set aside a couple of days if you plan to do this!

If you are planning on "upgrading" to Trados 2009, you are braver than I!

-Megan

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 08:31
Spanish
+ ...
Multiterm still sucks in Studio May 31, 2009

Katherine Mérignac wrote:

Kate

I'm using Multiterm with Studio 2009, it's still buggy, it still crashes, it still sucks. I have the exact same problem trying to add a new term, and I got several similar messages.

"arrrrrrggghhh" x 2

Weronika Sobita
Weronika Sobita  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
I've got a similar issue Jun 3, 2009

java.lang.nullpointer exception - that's the message I get when I'm trying to add a new entry. Did the reinstallation solve the problem?
Ah, I'm working with T2007, not Studio.

Weronika Sobita
Weronika Sobita  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
re-using the proz engine worked Jun 3, 2009

Found the solution, thank you.

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
Where is the the problem? Check SDL KB Jun 3, 2009

Hi all

The java.lang.nullpointer problem is in the KB of SDL for weeks/month now and can be found here:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2362&p=1

Hi Claudia

MultiTerm sucks,why? Would be interesting what problems you exactly have.

The Fatal error problem is easy to so
... See more
Hi all

The java.lang.nullpointer problem is in the KB of SDL for weeks/month now and can be found here:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=2362&p=1

Hi Claudia

MultiTerm sucks,why? Would be interesting what problems you exactly have.

The Fatal error problem is easy to solve just use www.google.com
search for "fatal error java" and the first hit will link to this page http://support4.scriptlogic.com/kb/article.aspx?id=14997 where a workaround is described (for another program but the same way to resolve). And also check the part "CAUSE".....you will see that this is NO problem with MultiTerm. There are several bug reports for this issue on the Sun Developer site!
There is also a article in the SDL KB that I used to resolve the same issue but at the moment offline. I asked for it and they told me that they are currently enhancing it a bit.

At least....no one forces you to use MultiTerm, when it sucks so bad don´t use it. My point of view is that I never found a similiar Terminology program that can compete with MultiTerm.

Cheers
Collapse

MGL
MGL  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Why so defensive? Jun 4, 2009

Optiproz Prime wrote:

At least....no one forces you to use MultiTerm, when it sucks so bad don´t use it. My point of view is that I never found a similiar Terminology program that can compete with MultiTerm.

Cheers

I found the tone of your response unnecessarily brusque... Do you work for SDL?

In any case, while no one is physically forcing anyone to purchase and use Trados or MultiTerm, many of us find it to be a necessity. And an expensive one, at that.

When you pay so much money for software, you expect the bugs to have been worked out, and you expect support. I think it is really underhanded of SDL Trados to charge additional fees for "customer service." Yes, they have their library of previously asked questions, but the search options are extremely limited and the published solutions do not work for everyone. I know that personally, when I was dealing with this I tried every suggestion I could find online, both via google and through their user-unfriendly question system, and none of them worked for me.

I suppose we will have to wait indefinitely for more fee-based "enhancements."

I like MultiTerm -- when it works, and I like Trados. But I think the company and its approach towards its clients sucks.

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
English
Just a post that doesn´t help anyone..... Jun 4, 2009

Megan Lehmann wrote:

I found the tone of your response unnecessarily brusque... Do you work for SDL?

Hi Megan

No, I´m not working for SDL. Sorry if it sounds brusque but it just helps no one to look into a forum post where the same problem you receive is handled and someone writes "MultiTerm sucks".
This comments can be done in other forums where such things can be discussed.

I know it is expensive but one of the programs that has more features and possibilities that no other have.

[Edited at 2009-06-04 12:25 GMT]

Anastasia Naoumi (X)
Anastasia Naoumi (X)  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:31
English to Greek
Can't edit or add entry Jun 16, 2009

Hello! I converted two of my Excel gloassaries a few days ago but know I can neither add or edit an entry. The following message appears: Message from webpage: "java.lang.NullpointerException." I use AVG Internet Security, does this have anything to do with it? Any help would be appreciated since I'm relatively new to Trados. Thanks in advance!

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Search this forum... Jun 16, 2009

...for "Disable Next Generation". That should help.

Katherine Mérignac
Katherine Mérignac  Identity Verified
France
Member (2004)
Just in case... Jun 16, 2009

I don't know if this will be of any help to anyone, but the 'several Java environment' (or whatever) message struck a warning signal and so I uninstalled all of my Java programs using the 'remove a program' menu (and there did appear to be conflicting Java titles in there) and re-opened MultiTerm, which realised I didn't have Java and promptly re-installed what appears to be the correct version. It's working for the moment anyway...!

Touch wood...

K

Anastasia Naoumi (X)
Anastasia Naoumi (X)  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:31
English to Greek
Thanks! Jun 16, 2009

I will give it a try! I'm crossing my fingers.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm Java Issue: MT won't add new entry

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »